Saturday, December 28, 2013

Duck Travesty

You know I really try not to watch the news anymore because it's either depressing or just plain aggravating, but I unfortunately saw the Duck Dynasty/Phil Robertson crap that's going on. I had originally told myself I wasn't going to comment on it, but I can resist no longer. This is what Phil Robertson had to say:  "It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical...  Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong.  Sin becomes fine...  If somebody asks, I tell ’em what the Bible says.  All you have to do is look at any society where there is no Jesus. I’ll give you four: Nazis, no Jesus. Look at their record. Uh, Shintos? They started this thing in Pearl Harbor. Any Jesus among them? None. Communists? None. Islamists? Zero. That’s eighty years of ideologies that have popped up where no Jesus was allowed among those four groups. Just look at the records as far as murder goes among those four groups"
*Sigh* there is a part of me, the bitter and jaded part that thinks "NOT SURPRISING: the Duck Dynasty dude doesn't endorse homosexuality. SURPRISING: people actually give a shit what the Duck Dynasty dude thinks."
But of course, that part of me is very small, and the kind, caring, right's for all people, part of me is pretty pissed actually. Firstly nobody needs to comment "oh it's freedom of speech" because yes it is, however he signed a legally binding contract with A&E to uphold a certain standard of conduct, which he violated. A&E really had no other option than to suspend him, unless they fired him.
Secondly there is zero logic in attraction. None at all. Taking a cursory look around people have ended up attracted to the people they wouldn't get along with if they weren't attracted to them.
Also, stating that there is a lack of Jesus in groups of people, that aren't sects of religion is really ignorant. The Nazi's? Not a religion. Communism? Not a religion on it's face. Shinto? Also not really a religion, more of an indigenous spirit. So his statement that there was no Jesus is invalid.

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person," Robertson is quoted in GQ. "Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.” 
Then Phil Robertson dribbles this tripe about Jim Crowism that is just as bad, if not worse than the earlier statement. For one thing the cultural climate in the Southern states was one of disenfranchisement, segregation and various forms of oppression, including race-inspired violence. It was the time of that "separate but equal" bullshit that we all know was completely false. For those of you who don't know Jim Crowism were racial segregation laws enacted between 1876 and 1965 in the United States at the state and local level. They mandated de jure (meaning according to rightful entitlement or claim; by right) racial segregation in all public facilities in Southern states of the former Confederacy, with, starting in 1890, a "separate but equal" status for African Americans. African Americans were not happy at this point in time and apparently Phil Robertson was oblivious to the lynchings and the severe racism going on. The dumbass.

No comments:

Post a Comment